Oktoberfest events and seasonal brews are popping up all over Sydney but those who want the authentic experience should be heading to the true home-away-from-Oktoberfest-home venues, Lowenbrau Keller and Bavarian Bier Café.
Those of us who couldn’t manage to make it all the way to Munich to enjoy some giant steins and crisp, salty pretzels can still experience everything Oktoberfest has to offer here in Sydney.
Oktoberfest first took place in Munich back in 1810 to celebrate the marriage of Bavarian Crown Prince Ludwig to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen and is still celebrated in full force today.
With over 6 million visitors every year it’s the world’s largest fair and great excuse to celebrate.
Throughout the festival Lowenbrau Keller and Bavarian Bier Café are the only venues offering all five official Oktoberfestbiers on tap available in Australia.
Highlights of the celebrations include:
- Bier education and dining sessions, at all Bavarian Bier Café venues-including bier education sessions run by authentic bier meisters teaching bier lovers everything they need to know about Oktoberfestbier.
- Triple M’s Chris North will host an Oktoberfest Trivia Night at Lowenbrau Keller on Wednesday 23 October, guests are invited to join in the fun and win great prizes.
- ‘Bier o’clock’ at each Bavarian Bier Café from 5-7pm with bier specials including a new $10 bier cocktail.
- Oktoberfest ‘Upgrade Sundays’ at each Bavarian Bier Café where selected 500mL Oktoberfestbiers are the price of 300mL between 3pm and 6pm every Sunday.
- The Uber Mega Oktoberfest Sausage Challenge at Lowenbrau Keller- $49 for a 2-metre sausage with chips and salad. If you complete the challenge in 30 minutes, you eat for free!
For more information about Oktoberfest 2013 visit www.oktoberfest.com.au